Sunday, June 13, 2010

Post 3

Scott McLeod

I was really amused by Scott McLeod's post Don't teach your kids this stuff. Please. I think the way it was written sparks something in the people who read it. I wish someone had said something like this to some of my teachers in high school.

I went to Scott McLeod's webpage and it is obvious he is really into anything that has to do with technology. I'd be curious to find out how much time he puts into managing all of his websites, videos, posts, and tweets. I think its interesting that he is the co-creator of the Did you Know? video. I'm also interested in finding out more about the Center of Advanced Study of Technology Leadership in Education, of which is he the director.

All of our assigned videos and posts have been about how we should use more technology in school more. When I first started reading this post, I thought it would be interesting to read a different opinion. Of course, halfway through it, I realized it was still the same side of the argument. I'd be interested in reading someone's blog really about how technology is not important in schools just to see how I would respond.

iSchool Initiative


Travis Allen's video about the iSchool has some great points about how a completely tech-savvy school could save schools and students lots of money. An iSchool would put everything at the fingertips of students, teachers, and parents.

I will be the first to admit that I can not wrap my mind around the iSchool initiative. It seems like there are a lot of pros but I can't imagine having everything in a school linked back to an iPod Touch or an iPad. I think just changing the way you access school assignments doesn't "fix" the nation's education problem. Maybe colleges would benefit from something like this more than high schools would. I don't think you can jump right into iSchool. If we can't even get teachers to teach more about technology, how are we supposed to get them to use iSchool? The video was interesting but a little overwhelming to me.

Lost Generation


I absolutely loved this video! The massive amount of work put into making this video is evident. Not only is the technique amazing but the message adds to it and pulls the whole video together.

I might sound like I'm gushing over this video but I was so impressed by the technique. When the writing started to reverse and the speaker started reading the lines backwards, I thought, "Wow! This is brilliant!"

Virtual Choir

virtual choir

Eric Whitacre's Virtual Choir was really cool. At first I just thought it was good singing but then I realized what Jennifer Chamber's post said about the people having never met or performed together.

It looked like a lot of work went into editing this. I can't imagine ever being able to do something like that but it seems like a really cool thing to be able to do. If someone can create something like this, imagine what other things people can create on the internet together. I think that's the important part of what we should teach our students. Working together is a value that any teacher should instill in his or her students. Working together, on the internet, makes the possibilities seem limitless, if only you know how to use technology.

2 comments:

  1. I am sure I have run across plenty of oppositional blogs. As I find them, I will be sure to let you know! And don't be embarrassed about gushing-- OMG came out of my mouth at least three times as I watched it. I thought it was sooo clever!
    I looked up Eric Whitacre's Blog which you might find interesting. The link that I have connected you to is his post about how he composed the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and I are in agreement on the iSchool iniative concerning teachers who already are having trouble with technology much less diving completely into a technology based school.

    Wasn't that virtual choir just amazing. I am sure there were a lot of mouths hanging wide open, including mine, while watching that video.

    I loved your video and seeing all of the places that you have traveled. Looks like you have had a great time in your life so far.

    ReplyDelete