Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Comments for Teachers 1: Summary of Pagie Baggett's Blog

I loved reading Dr. Baggett's blog. Her posts were always interesting and led me to think about different issues in teaching. I plan to keep following it even thought the assignment is over.

Comment #1 6/9/10

Dr. Baggett,
I'm following your blog as an assignment for Dr. Strange's class I'll be summarizing my comments on your post at the end of June on my my blog
The video you posted brought up some good questions about how to motivate students. I think the best thing to do is to remember every student is different and will respond to different types of motivation.
I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Tyler Tuveson

Comment #2 6/15/10

Hi, Dr. Baggett! You really have been posting a lot! Yay for you!

This research seems so crazy! I wonder why they keep trying the same thing over and over again if it's obviously not working. Like the article said, even if it does work, it won't be beneficial to our students in the long run because they are only learning to pass tests. I feel really sad and angry for these teachers that are having to be the guinea pigs for this research.

I understand that the goal of this is to encourage teachers to work harder and to reward teachers who do work hard at teaching but this is just not the answer.

I think if teachers were interested in money in the first place, they wouldn't have chosen teaching as a profession. So why try to, essentially, bribe them with their own salaries?

Comment #2b 6/15/10

One of my favorite parts of your class was when Mr. Trione came to visit! I hope you are able to continue having him come talk to classes. It was also really neat to see him talk to the first graders that came to hear him too!!

Your gift from Mr. Trione is so beautiful! I'm jealous!

Comment #3 6/22/10

Hi, Dr. Baggett!

Your post reminded me of a video we were assigned to watch and post about on creativity. The link to the video is here . My thoughts on the video are in my first post under The Importance of Creativity.

I've always loved taking art classes and while I don't feel completely uncreative, I think there is always room for more creativity. I agree that creative people are sometimes seen as unorganized and lacking discipline. However, I think this is a sad misconception.

I've heard teachers talk about the importance of creativity in the classroom. And I understand that some teachers may think that there isn't room for creativity in every subject. It may be hard to let your students be creative in math or social studies but, if they don't have the chance to express creativity, then how will they ever continue to become more creative?

No comments:

Post a Comment